Sunday, January 25, 2009

Winter Painting: Ernest Labelle comments












Well… let’s just say, for this artist, being snowbound can be a blessing. Most of the paintings attached were painted while stuck in the house.
I remember way back when, as salesman, I travelled for Sico, out of Moncton, New Brunswick, that snow country… I was snowbound and/or stuck somewhere many times. Sometimes when stranded in small village motel, with a bunch of salesmen and colleagues, I wished I had had my brushes rather than play poker for a few days! - that’s how we occasionally passed the time – when stranded. And you know, when at home and unable to travel because of snow, I was automatically pushed toward my studio. Still works that way.
Lately, we’ve been stuck in the house and I took advantage of this situation to produce paintings I had promised, and (or) for Xmas gifts. "Spice bottles" (painting below) is one of those, and no – there is no snow on it.
I also agreed to do a scene of Wakefield Train Station – this one is a winter scene (painting top left).

When I look out my window and see the City bogged down by snow and in addition – the bus strike – it gives me good reason to stay indoor and paint.
Painting is my “private evacuation route”.
It doesn’t matter what reason I might have to want to evacuate… weather, bad news, market, illness in family, or just plain “being down”, as soon as I start painting, I forget the world. I just take a plunge into my canvas and forget all the nasty little things that flew my way when I got out of bed, including bad weather. Time goes by so fast and my paintings turn out OK. Guess I’m fortunate.
“Bring on the snow – lock me up – but don’t take my brushes away!”
There is nothing in the world that will distract me or make me paint negative things when I need to “evacuate”. And it does not have to be a winter scene.
I remember – speaking of evacuation – back in Florida, when we used to spend winter in the South – the complex we dwelled in was evacuation-free. It had been built to resist hurricanes – and it did very well. So I managed to round up a few artists of the complex and meet in the “Party Room” and paint…while everyone else “ran like fools and went nowhere…!” we watched the wind from inside tossing garbage cans, plastic lawn furniture, palm tree branches… and gradually forgot all about it and just “painted”..!

So.. bottom line… “Being snowbound, hurricane bound, or just plain immobilized… are just good excuses to pull out brushes and paint…!” I welcome snow storms! I don’t wish for them but I do welcome them. Provides opportunity to “evacuate”. I love watching it fall from a window. In my younger days, I used to go walking in winter storms.
I have pictures of the Sparks Street Mall with a whole lot of people walking around. It’s a summer scene. I think I will turn it into a happy winter shopping spree! Why not? Beats moping because weather is bad!
Stressful moments are not welcome… - but – they can be overcome and turned into productive activities for a painter or artist, or anyone, for that matter. Stressfull moments do, however, pop up, so let’s use them.
My advice to all artists
“Don’t let winter storms stop you or even slow you down – use them to your best advantage – you will be surprised the benefits you will draw… from peace of mind to great paintings!”

Ernest F. Labelle
January 2009

Ernest Labelle is a guest artist featured at Tay River Gallery. Ernest Labelle paints a variety of subject matter including old architecture, street scenes and rural landscapes with primary attention to colour and contrast in a loose style and pleasing earthy palette.He has directed workshops, teaching art in Ottawa, Gatineau, Montreal, Baie-St-Paul since 1990.

No comments: