Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Art: Comments by Karen Goetzinger


I actually find that right after the holidays and the first of the year I spend more time in the studio producing. Days of sunshine and warmth are no longer a temptation and no longer call to me to "play" and I am better able to focus on my art.

I am inspired by all the seasons, the changing colours and light levels. There is something about that first snowfall that makes the heart quicken and a world that has been shades of grey, taupe and browns for weeks, comes alive in gleaming white and blues with stark contrasts.

We live in the northern hemisphere, so there is not much we can do about winter– it comes every year. We can complain and gripe and retreat or we can dress for the weather and face it head on! Now that being said, as I mentioned earlier I spend more time in my studio during these cold snowy days but I have also found that around February I seem to hit a creative slump. I think the slump is strongly effected by long stretches of sunless days. I have tried to work through the February rut by having lots of sketches in my sketch book from which to choose new works. I have also learned that I need a series that I am excited about, to work on during the winter months. It helps keep my mind active, constantly thinking about that next piece and less about the depressing nature of February weather (a vase of daffodils helps too!). The more prepared I am with ideas, sketches and images before the winter doldrums hit, the better I am able to face the creative block.

I try to meet regularly with other artists, either of the same discipline or other disciplines. It helps ward off the isolation and cabin fever that can be deadly. It is always interesting to hear what they are working on and what is inspiring them. Meeting with these fellow artists can be the catalyst I need to get me out of a creative slump.

There are less distractions but I don't know if I can say I create my best work in winter. I do take this time of less distractions to work on larger pieces in winter, sometimes taking several months to complete one. I find the work I do in winter is resplendent with saturated colours. The brighter and bolder the better! Then when spring seems to be arriving, my work shifts and seems to take a break from the bold, if only for a short period of time.

Karen Goetzinger
January 2009


Award winning artist Karen Goetzinger is well known for her finely detailed textile works that often employ a kimono shaped canvas.Her mixed media textile work is influenced by her roots in traditional quilt making, couture construction, and passion for vintage Japanese textiles and design. Karen teaches at the Ottawa School of Art and is a mentor/instructor in the Fine and Contemporary Craft Mentoring Program.

No comments: