Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Painting in Winter: James E. Pay comments


Since arriving in Nova Scotia 18 months ago, I have painted outdoors more than ever before, although I have always enjoyed it. Mostly, the en plein air painting is in the summer and early fall. For me, winter is studio painting time. Since I'm older now, the hands no longer can hold a brush in cold weather so all my sketching and painting is done through summer and autumn when the warm ocean tides moderate our temperatures. My wife, Eileen, a great photographer, can still add to my resources in winter with our treks outdoors here, so whatever season, there is never a lack of images to paint. Actually, winter inspires most artists. It is when most art clubs meet and mingle and when lots of paintings are accomplished. There is still something cosy about being inside in winter, looking out, hearing the wind, seeing the coldness and trying the capture it all on canvas. That is what inspires me.

James E. Pay
January 2009

James E. Pay trained as an artist in Canada, UK and USA and lists the late A.J. Casson as his mentor. James is a signature member of the United Society of Artists, (UA)London, England and former vice-chairman of Central Arts, Scotland. He is known for his loose style of watercolour painting,acrylic landscapes and florals. He is a skilled art teacher and conducts painting workshops in Nova Scotia.

No comments: