Sunday, January 18, 2009

Artwork in Winter : Heather Assaf comments


As I am not much of an outdoor sports type, preferring walks with my dog on pleasant days, I look forward to January, February and March as a time to learn new techniques and experiment on different surfaces etc. I have a new DVD and two new books that I am anxious to get into as soon as the holiday season is over. If I find a workshop that interests me I will take one during that time or in the early spring.

I find it easier to stick to a schedule in winter as I have a fairly large property with many gardens to tend to and I love to be outside in the warm weather months. My productivity level drops in the summer because I am a studio artist and as long as the weather is good I want to be out there enjoying it.

My artwork these days is intuitive so the weather conditions have no effect on me, other than (possibly) colour choices. I tend to draw on images and information from my subconscious for inspiration when I start a painting and never know what the subject matter (if any) will be until I am finished.

Heather Assaf
January 2009

Heather Assaf is a mixed-media artist and an intaglio printmaker. Heather is interested in abstract qualities working with collagraphs and etchings. Her love of vibrant colour and design is evident in her work. Heather studied at the Handprint Studio, Harrogate, U.K. under English printmaker Peter Wray in various methods of non-toxic etching and collagraph printmaking.

No comments: