Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Painting Winter Scenes: Normand Baril comments


Winter and water are my two preferred subject to paint. Winter for me represents a superb challenge as the colours of nature have changed immensely and change everyday to a point that it is difficult to go back to complete a painting on location. It is for these reasons that I take so many photographs and use them as references. There is no way that I can reproduce a photograph and that is not what I want to do. I want to reproduce my feelings when I saw the scene and do an interpretation of the subject seen through my camera lens. A photograph is a moment of the day with all the colours that I can reproduce on a digital photo; not all colours are reproduced on a photograph as you are well aware. Winter is the subject that I enjoy to work. New paintings are in the works, unfortunately not completed.

Normand Baril
January 2009

Normand Baril has painted with Pastels since 1979. His compositions include landscape, still life, portrait and figure. Baril’s admiration of natural settings and the untamed beauty of this country is a constant inspiration to him. Baril is a signature member of Pastel Artists Canada, Pastel Society of Eastern Canada and Pastel Society of Canada.

No comments: