Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Winter Painting: Deborah Czernecky comments













AH … Our great Canadian Winters! Something that we love to hate at various stages of the season. Since moving to Victoria, BC - a part of Canada this is truly "GREEN" year round (okay, the weather Gods out here were a little confused this season, but we're back to normal temperature from +6 to +11c). I must admit I do miss the white stuff for plein air painting. However, if I'm that desperate for a taste of white cold, I glance across the water to the east and admire the snow capped mountains or I drive 45 minutes up island to touch it!

From the art side of the equation, I find wintertime a chance to let me complete my half-finished paintings that have been hanging around the studio collecting dust for the past six months. But ... if the sun is shining and beckoning me to come out and paint, off I go. After painting a decade in the Ottawa Valley, Winter Plein Air painting on the West Coast is different and challenging in it's own unique way. The biggest challenge, is the "WIND"! I'm now very educated in the four types of winds out here from gales to hurricanes, plus their speed values (the weather channel is very educational with this information)!
Not only has my easel been air borne but I've almost join it on several occasions! Another uniqueness in painting out here, is the "GRAY BLANKET" that moves in at the end of November and stays till the beginning of January. One definitely learns how to paint gray values, warm to cold, out here. After awhile this type of painting for me becomes dreary and boring even though other painters are ecstatic over this. In closing I must admit I'm looking forward to the Spring painting trip I'll be participating in the Laurentians this April. Let it Snow!

Deborah Czernecky
January 2009

New Works in progress.










Deborah Czernecky is a plein air landscape painter living in Victoria BC. The diverse scenery she encounters in her travels is interpreted with her characteristic bright,vibrant colour and attention to structural forms, landscape formations and patterns. Czernecky's delightful portrayals of the Canadian landscape have made her a favourite with art buyers in the National Capital Region.

No comments: