Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Painting in Winter: Debbie Milling comments


"My studio has large windows that allow me to enjoy a wonderful and often fairylike view of the Rideau River. The winter is the most productive time for me as I have very little desire to be outside and love to sit in my studio by my woodstove cocooning and painting at the same time. The light that floods my studio is magnificent simply because of the way it reflects off the snow and the way it changes as it moves through the day. I spend the rest of the year primarily doing research and collecting a vast number of open air sketches and photos which provide me with the material to paint in my studio during winter. As most of my work is of spring to summer subjects, I can often place myself in the warmth and the sun just by painting the subjects even though it is 20 below outside!"

Debbie Milling
January 2009
Debbie Milling paints views of remote Canadian landscapes captured in her travels on horseback and by boat. Her studio overlooks the Rideau River near Ottawa. Milling has participated in several group and solo shows in Ontario and her works have been gaining recognition and can be found in public and private collections across Canada.

No comments: