Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Painting in Winter: John Shea comments



Winter is my most productive season as I seek out images to paint. I find the landscape much more interesting as the bare trees have a linear quality that compliments the many architectural subjects that I prefer. Outside my window Newboro Lake is frozen and the woods are still but inside the fire is warm and the many photos I have taken lay scattered on my studio table just waiting to be interpreted. January will see several new images in the gallery, with of course winter as the theme.

John Shea
January 2009


















John Shea is a watercolour artist who paints 'architectural portraits' set in landscapes. He has taught art in Perth for the past 24 years. Prior to teaching, he worked as an architectural renderer, which is reflected in his love of portraying local heritage buildings. Shea studied at the School of Art & Design at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Syracuse University and Queen's University in Kingston.

No comments: