Thursday, February 5, 2009

Painting in Winter: Bill Veale comments



During the winter I do very little plein air painting because watercolour and acrylics require the use of water, which is not compatible with below-zero temperatures. Rather, during the cold weather, I prefer to take my digital camera out in order to shoot photos of winter scenes, especially the wonderful shadows that are cast on the snow. It goes without saying that I am definitely more plein air productive during the warmer months.

I am very fortunate to be a member of the R.L.A.A., a group of artists who paint once a week in Westport. There is generally a weekly turnout of fifteen to twenty people. Much friendly bantering takes place and help is offered if requested.

During the winter I like to paint such scenes as misty morning January thaws, as well as early evening sunsets over Jebs Creek behind my house. Overall, painting is one of my favourite year-round activities.

Bill Veale
January 2009



Bill Veale, Perth area artist has been painting landscapes in watercolour and acrylics for the past twenty-five years. His paintings depict the natural setting of wilderness areas including Lanark county, Algonquin Provincial Park and national parks in North America. Bill Veale is a member of the Rideau Lakes Artists Association and his paintings hang in collections in North America, Europe and Australia.

No comments: